Sinosteel Midwest Corporation (SMC) is committed to the responsible development of our resources.
SMC accepts responsibility for the impacts our operations have on the environment, and we are committed to eliminate, reduce, manage or offset these impacts.
In line with SMC’s Four Core Principles, SMC makes the following environmental commitments:
- Establish appropriate standards, procedures and work instructions for all high-risk environmental activities
- Provide relevant training for all employees and contractors to ensure SMC’s environmental responsibilities and commitments are understood and fulfilled
- Promote environmental programs and initiatives to raise awareness and participation by SMC employees, contractors and suppliers
- Understand our potential environmental impacts, develop management protocols and incorporate results into our decision making processes
- Minimise emissions through value engineering and optimising equipment selection to seek energy efficiency
- Monitor and measure our impact on the environment and set targets for continuous improvement
Act with Integrity
- SMC will meet all statutory requirements as a minimum standard
- Assess potential environmental impacts before conducting any new activity
- Provide information on our environmental performance to relevant stakeholders
Be Socially Responsible
- Contribute to local and regional environmental initiatives through our Resourcing the Region community investment program
- Encourage the adoption of similar environmental principles by our Contractors and Suppliers
- Undertake research programs that enhance local and regional success in environmental management, particularly land rehabilitation and ecosystem restoration
Download a PDF of the SMC Environment Policy here.